Lynette Daley Court Hearing

Lynette Daley hearing: Anger erupts outside court

ANGER turned to violence outside Grafton Court house yesterday morning after two men facing charges relating to the death of Lynette Daley were granted bail.

Adrian Attwater and Paul Maris fronted Grafton Local Court this morning on manslaughter and other charges related to the death of Ms Daley at 10 Mile Beach, Iluka, in 2011.

Attwater also faced a barrage of punches and taunts as he attempted to cross the road outside the court house after the decision.

A local court magistrate released the pair on bail and a suppression order placed on identifying their residential adresses.

She adjourned the case until September 6, excusing the pair from attending if legally represented.

There was about a 30 minute wait outside the court house while Attwater and Maris signed bail papers.

Attwater to was first to emerge to jeers from the waiting crowd.

He appeared hestitant as he came down the court steps, turning to his left, then right, then left again.which seemed to incense the group of people shouting him.

Attwater began to run and as he started to cross Victoria St, a woman stepped into his path and a man swung several punches at him, striking Attwater a couple of glancing blows.

"Have a go Attwater," members of the crowd shouted as he and his lawyer walked quickly toward where the car was parked in Fitzroy St.

Lynette's mother, Thelma Davis, was caught up in the melee and at one stage screamed at people to let her go.

She was comforted by a group of people including her husband, Gordon Davis, and appeared to be nursing her right arm.

The woman who first accosted Attwater collapsed on the road and lay motionless, attended by a group of people, for about 20 minutes.

Maris left the court house a few minutes later and was taken to Grafton Polic Station

Family and supporters of Ms Daley were angry at the court decision, especially a court order to suppress the identity of where the two men live.

Ms Daley's step-father, Gordon Davis, could not understand the decision.

"They get protection, but where was the protection for Lynette?" he said.

Ms Daley's auntie, Denise Purcell, worked in the court system for three years, but was still disappointed with the outcome.

"I didn't expect them to get off so easy," she said. "There should have been harsher bail conditions on them."

In court the prosecutor appeared to give up on having the men detained after initially moving for a dentention application.

"The Crown concedes any risk of flight could be covered by bail conditions your honour could set," he said.

The two defence solicitors then moved to have identification of their clients' residential addresses suppressed.

One of the few bail conditions was both had to surrender their passports not attempt to get a passport.

There was no surety or reporting conditions.