Batten down, wild weather ahead
A SERVERE thunderstorm warning featuring large hailstones, heavy rainfall and damaging winds is about to the the Northern Rivers.
At 12:26pm today, the State Emergency Services issued a warning for people in Northern Rivers, Mid North Coast, Hunter, Metropolitan, Illawarra, Northern Tablelands and parts of South Coast, Central Tablelands, Southern Tablelands and North West Slopes and Plains Forecast Districts.
Lightning and dark skies have already been reported.
The State Emergency Service advises that people should:
- Move your car under cover or away from trees.
- Secure or put away loose items around your house, yard and balcony.
- Keep at least 8 metres away from fallen power lines or objects that may be energised, such as fences.
- Report fallen power lines to either Ausgrid on 131 388, or Endeavour Energy on 131 003 or Essential Energy on 132 080, as shown on your power bill.
- Keep clear of creeks and storm drains.
- Don't walk, ride your bike or drive through flood water.
- If you are trapped by flash flooding, seek refuge in the highest available place and ring 000 if you need rescue.
- Unplug computers and appliances.
- Avoid using the phone during the storm.
- Stay indoors away from windows, and keep children and pets indoors as well.
- For emergency help in floods and storms, ring the SES (NSW and ACT) on 132 500.
The next warning is due to be issued by 3:30 pm.
For emergency help in floods and storms, ring the SES on 132 500.