Mason Jet Lee died after being returned home from hospital. Image: Facebook
Mason Jet Lee died after being returned home from hospital. Image: Facebook

Toddler Mason Lee's death: two probes ordered

THE death of a toddler at Caboolture has sparked two separate investigations amid revelations the child was allowed to go home despite suffering suspicious injuries.

Queensland Health Minister Cameron Dick has ordered an investigation but said the initial advice showed clinicians had fulfilled their duties to report Mason Jet Lee's injuries to the child safety department before his release.

Mason was taken to hospital were severe injuries in March, four months before his death.

The 21-month-old child's body was found at the home of his mother's partner in Caboolture on June 11.

Child Safety Minister Shannon Fentiman said a separate, independent investigation had already been launched.

It will examine why Mason was released to his family, despite the warning from doctors.

The Sunday Mail reported that doctors notified authorities but the child safety investigation reportedly stalled after the caseworker was transferred.

Opposition child safety spokeswoman Ros Bates fears there will be another similar death because the department is under too much pressure.

"The fact that Mason was returned to his family is horrendous," she said.

A Right To Information request secured by the Opposition showed 46 per cent of children who are reported to the department do not get seen within the 30-day timelines.

The Caboolture office received extra staff this year, and another 17 are to be employed across the state this year.

Queensland police are treating Mason's death as a homicide.

The partner of Mason's mother was questioned by police for 18 hours but released without charge.

Ms Fentiman said an independent expert panel would examine "every detail" of the case of Mason Lee.

"The death of Mason Lee is an absolute tragedy and, like most Queenslanders today, I am absolutely shocked and appalled by the reports that we've seen," she said.

"In the event of a death of any child known to child safety, there is an independent expert panel convened to look at every aspect of the case...that process is already underway."

She said the review would be robust and take as long as necessary, reassuring that any recommendations made by that independent panel would be implemented.