Man accused of not paying ‘sugar babies’
A GOLD Coast businessman accused of reneging on promises to pay "sugar babies" if they had sex with him was also under surveillance in relation to a separate police investigation in New South Wales, it can be revealed.
The Southport Magistrates Court was yesterday told the investigation related to matters which had been "subject to a coronial inquest" and dated back to 1979.
The 58-year-old Coombabah man, who cannot be named for legal reasons, appeared in court to face charges of breached bail.
Prosecutors also applied to have the man's bail revoked.
The man was placed on strict bail conditions early last month after he was accused of meeting three women via dating website Seeking Arrangements and promising them cash in exchange for a date and sex.
He had sex with the women in hotels in Brisbane and on the Gold Coast but allegedly never paid.
The man was charged with one count of rape and four counts of procuring sexual acts by false pretences.
A part of the bail conditions include that he not use any social media platforms or dating sites.
Police prosecutor Senior Sergeant Damian Summerfield told the court yesterday that NSW police had the man's phone under surveillance since June this year in relation to an unrelated investigation.
Sen Sgt Summerfield said NSW Police provided information which showed the man had access to Facebook, Instagram or Snapchat daily between October 11 and 23, except for October 21.
Defence lawyer Chris Nyst, of Nyst Legal, told the court the police "suspicions" were an investigation dating back to 1979 and there had been no charge.
"It has been subject to a coronial inquest over the years, they want to muddy the waters with that," he said.
Mr Nyst said the man denied using social media.
He said after being charged, the man had gotten a new mobile phone which had automatically downloaded the apps.
Mr Nyst provided the court an affidavit from the man in which he denied the charge.
He had only touched the apps to delete them from his phone, the man said in the affidavit.
Magistrate Mark Howden revoked the man's bail.
The man previously pleaded guilty for breaching bail, Mr Howden said.
The man had used four dating apps - Hily, Bumble, Happn and We Date - to contact 100 women in three days.
"I explained in very clear terms that he was on strict bail and I explained on very clear terms he was not to access any social media platforms," Mr Howden said.
"The defendant has allegedly ignored that condition of his bail and gone and breached it the very next day."
Mr Howden said the man had shown as "propensity to ignore" bail conditions.
The sexual assault charges will return to court on November 26 while the breach of bail charges will next be heard on December 10.