Family distraught after losing everything in fire
Monday 2.17pm: MIKAELA Cashin said she was woken at 3am this morning to the sound of fire fighters rushing to a house on fire nearby.
"It was very concerning because their house is very close, we had to move our cars," Ms Cashin said.
"It was quite scary as you can imagine but everyone is safe and everyone is fine."
Ms Cashin said in the early hours of this morning, neighbours gathered on her front yard while the fire brigade fought the blaze that engulfed one residence on Fenwick Drive.
"We helped the out, gave them blankets, gave them clothes and some water," she said.
She said the family was obviously devastated after losing everything.
"They are a bit distraught but they will be fine, there was lots of community support as we came together which was really good," Ms Cashin said.
Monday 12.34pm: CAPTAIN Dennis Henry has credited working smoke alarms for saving a family from a fire that could see their home demolished.
The Ballina Fire Station Commander said the Fire and Rescue crew attended the fire at Fenwick Drive at 2.06am and found a vehicle alight in the garage.
He said the main fire was contained to the downstairs garage, but the upper level had sustained a lot of smoke damage.
Two appliances from Ballina and one from Alstonville attended and put the fire out in about an hour.
Captain Henry said they remained on scene to watch if the fire was going to extend into top floor, which it did at
6am when the fire was again put out.
He said the parents and three to four children were all alerted by smoke alarms and got out of the house quickly with no smoke inhalation.
A neighbouring home had damage to the eaves from flames leaping out of the burning house.
The captain said they initially believed the fire started in garage and may have been some kind of battery pack, but investigations were continuing.
Captain Henry said it looks as though the home had sustained a lot of smoke damage and while intact, may need to be demolished.
Monday 9.29am: A FAMILY of four have lost their home after a fire gutted the property and damaged a neighbouring house.
Smoke alarms alerted the family to the blaze, who quickly escaped their Ballina home and called triple zero shortly before 2am Monday morning.
Ballina fireys and police raced to the Fenwick Dr residence and evacuated neighbours with flames damaging part of an adjoining premises and vehicles.
Fire-fighters battled the blaze before it was extinguished about 3.10am.
Police said the fire was not suspicious, citing what appeared to be an electrical fault in the garage sparking the blaze.
Investigations are currently under way at the scene.