Holiday in the Gladstone region
GLADSTONE residents have no need to accrue their annual leave with so many fantastic holiday destinations waiting at their doorstep.
Gladstone Area Promotion and Development Ltd CEO Glenn Churchill said the number of residents holidaying in the region had increased by 16 percent in the year ending June 2011.
Mr Churchill said that increase had been driven by solid growth in holiday and business visitation
"According to Tourism Queensland Research, travelers are tending to stay closer to home, making less stopovers due to the cost of airfares. This may be alleviated with Virgin Airlines operating from the Gladstone Airport and the recent announcement by QANTAS to start Jet operations from Gladstone," Mr Churchill said.
He said with the abundance of exciting holiday destinations in the Gladstone region it was extremely important to take a break, get out and experience the diversity, resilience and attractions it had to offer.
10 ways to holiday in our region
- Island Wonders... Heron Island, Lady Musgrave Island, Fitzroy Reef and Wilson Island
- Fish Lake Awoonga
- Larc it at Seventeen Seventy
- Pitch your tent at the region's great National Parks
- Scooteroo on a Chopper Tour in Agnes Water
- Celebrate Australia Day at Tannum Sands
- Take a self-drive tour through the Boyne Valley
- Learn to surf or kitesurf at Tannum Sands or Agnes Water
- Goat herd on horseback at Lochenbar Station
- Take up the challenge and climb Mount Larcom