PHOTOS: Family home gutted by fire likely caused by candle
A WOMAN driving home at 3am saw the home on fire and raised the alarm at nearby property.
Around 3am Karen Grayndler was driving home from her son's house when she saw the house on fire.
It is understood the smoking ruins of the home had reignited.
Ms Grayndler said she ran around the property to see if anyone needed assistance before going to a nearby dairy to raise the alarm.
"I could not get phone reception, so I went to a neighbouring farm and the man there called triple 0," she said.
A neighbour who requested anonymity, said the house was occupied by a single dad with a daughter.
The man is now believed to be staying with his mother.
The neighbour said the man has been offered a house a few doors away to live in until he gets back on his feet.
ORIGINAL STORY: DESPITE the efforts of 15 firefighters a Lynches Creek home burnt to the ground last night.
Fire & Rescue NSW Superintendent Greg Lewis said a crew from Kyogle was called to back the Rural Fire Service at the incident which occurred at 979 Lynches Creek Rd, some 20km north of the town.
"At 10.31pm I got the page that the RFS was called out and at 10:53 pm they requested our assistance," he said.
"We were on scene at 11:26, the occupants were already safely out of the property and or crew went into defensive mode which means they fought the fire from outside.
"The RFS turned up a short time later and assisted, but by 11.56pm the house was totally destroyed by fire and we handed over to the RFS."
Insp Lewis said a pumper from Casino F&R moved up to cover Kyogle while his crew were at the house fire.
RFS Insp Daniel Ainsworth said the fire was not believed to be suspicious.
"The occupants were alerted by the home's smoke alarms which were activated," he said.
He said firefighters from Wiangaree, Grevillia and Kyogle HQ brigades were at the incident with tankers.
"As water is scarce at the moment, our tankers were used to draft extra water," he said.
"The fire-fighters were there until after midnight and will be back today to hit some hotspots."
Richmond Police District Insp David Vandergriend said officers were on scene at the house fire.
He said it was possibly caused by a candle.