Fire & Rescue NSW at a house fire on Dibbs Street at Coraki where a house was destroyed by fire.
Fire & Rescue NSW at a house fire on Dibbs Street at Coraki where a house was destroyed by fire. Marc Stapelberg

Home destroyed by fire in less than 10 minutes

UPDATE 11.26am: IT TOOK under 10 minutes for a house in Coraki to be destroyed by fire this morning.

Fire & Rescue NSW Station Commander at Lismore Fire Station F&R Station Officer Fraser Hindry said: "It started with a fridge fire and we got a call to a fridge fire in a house, obviously an older weatherboard house and it quickly spread".

Fire destroyed a home at Coraki this morning.
Fire destroyed a home at Coraki this morning. JASMINE BURKE

"Fortunately the occupants were able to get out with their pets and everyone inside evacuated which is great.

"The fire spread fairly rapidly because of the construction of the building and we had a little bit of trouble making access because of the powerlines down there. We had to wait until the power was isolated.

"There's further issues with asbestos because its an older building so we had asbestos procedures in place for the safety of everyone.

"It's now contained, there was no exposures under threat and the guys in Coraki quickly arrived and established there was no threat through the exposures and RFS assisted Fire & Rescue NSW in extinguishing it."

Fire destroyed a home at Coraki this morning.
Fire destroyed a home at Coraki this morning. JASMINE BURKE

Mr Hindry said it only took five to 10 minutes for the fire to engulf the whole home.

"It's a good warning for this time of year make sure your smoke alarms are active and an escape plan in place."

 

Original story: A HOME is fully involved in flames after a fire, which started as an electrical fire in the fridge, quickly spread through the entire property.

NSW Fire & Rescue's Coraki brigade was first at the scene in Dibbs St, after receiving a call at 9.33am.

A spokesperson from NSW Fire & Rescue said the home was a weatherboard house with a tin roof.

It started as an electrical fault in the refrigerator and then spread through the entire house.

The home is totally involved with flames and firefighters are still battling the blaze.

Smoke was coming out of the house as fire crews arrived at the scene, and now two crews wearing breathing apparatus are working on property protection to prevent the fire from spreading to nearby homes.

All occupants have been accounted for.

The energy company has been called to disconnect power.

More to come.