Health Minister Jillian Skinner (centre) recently toured the Tweed Hospital with Geoff Provest (left), Melinda Pavey (rear) and NSW Health staff.
Health Minister Jillian Skinner (centre) recently toured the Tweed Hospital with Geoff Provest (left), Melinda Pavey (rear) and NSW Health staff. Blainey Woodham

Mullum telehealth to go ahead

A CONTROVERSIAL  telehealth trial at Mullumbimby Hospital looks set to go ahead, the State Opposition says.

Labor MP Walt Secord has told ABC Radio the State Government endorsed the plan when the issue was raised in a budget estimates hearing on Monday afternoon.

That is despite repeated assurances from the Local Health District the trial would not proceed without the agreement of the hospital's nurses, who remain opposed to telehealth.

But a spokeswoman for NSW Health Minister Jillian Skinner said the minister had always supported a telehealth trial, so nothing had changed.

The spokeswoman  said the ultimate decision remained in the hands of Local Health District CEO Chris Crawford who was still engaged in public consultation on the proposal.

The Local Health District has previously announced that it will make a decision on telehealth at its meeting on November 28.

Mr Secord was not available for comment.