Nimbin fire to be considered during state-wide investigation
UPDATE 5.11pm: FIRE and Rescue NSW has declined to comment on the inclusion of a Nimbin fire in an investigation into communications between the organisation and NSW Rural Fire Service.
Emergency services minister Troy Grant announced the independent investigation would take place after questions were raised over how the two bodies worked together during the recent Tathra blaze which destroyed 65 houses and 35 caravans.
A Nimbin fire which destroyed several businesses in August, 2014 is among three North Coast incidents which will be considered as part of the investigation.
A Fire and Rescue spokesman said they were not able to discuss the matter.
"Now that a formal review has been announced, we won't be commenting on these matters," he said.
ORIGINAL STORY Saturday, 5.00am: A BLAZE which destroyed several businesses in Nimbin will be included in an investigation into the relationship between volunteer and paid firefighters in New South Wales.
The fire which destroyed Nimbin's museum and Rainbow Cafe in August, 2014 will be among more than 100 incidents across the state considered as part of the investigation, a spokeswoman for emergency services minister Troy Grant confirmed.
The incident was amongst three fires on the North Coast to be looked at during the process, along with incidents in Taree and Port Macquarie.
The spokeswoman said a date had not yet been set for the launch of the investigation, which Mr Grant announced last week.
It was expected the behaviour of firefighters involved in 112 incidents will be assessed.
The response to the Nimbin fire by the RFS and Fire and Rescue NSW crews will be investigated.
The blaze tore through Cullen St on August 13, 2014 and gutted the Nimbin Museum, Rainbow Cafe, Tribal Magic and half of the Bringabong shop before being controlled.
Fire and Rescue NSW and the NSW Rural Fire Service have been approached for comment.