Police investigate Jarryd Hayne sex complaint
NRL star Jarryd Hayne is the subject of a police investigation after a complaint was made by a woman saying he sexually assaulted her on grand final night.
He has not been charged with any offence and his lawyer said he had not spoken to Hayne about the unsubstantiated allegations.
According to a report on Channel 9, the woman complained to police after the two had sex at a house in the Hunter Valley on September 30.
The pair met on social media before meeting in person when Hayne was in the Hunter Region for a night out. It is understood they had been corresponding in the time leading up to September 30.
During the intercourse the woman claims she "withdrew her consent", a police source said.
The alleged victim made a complaint to the NRL last week and the league's integrity unit immediately referred her to NSW Police.
She was interviewed by detectives from the Child Abuse and Sex Crimes Squad this week.
The uncontracted former Parramatta Eel has not been formally interviewed by police over the allegations.
With no contract for the 2019 the police investigation could jeopardise the versatile player's efforts to revive his NRL career.
A NSW Police spokeswoman said last night officers were investigating the incident.
"Police are investigating following reports a woman was sexually assaulted by a 30-year-old man in late September," she said.
"The investigation is being led by detectives from the Child Abuse and Sex Crimes Squad."
Hayne is currently defending a separate a civil case brought against him by a woman who claims she was raped while he was playing for the San Francisco 49ers in the US in 2015.
He has categorically denied the US allegations.
Hayne's lawyer Ramy Qutami said he had not spoken to his client about the fresh allegations.
"All I've heard is what has been in the media and until I speak to Jarryd there is nothing we can say about it," he said.
The woman allegedly took photos of her injuries and sought medical treatment after the encounter, Channel 9 reported.
Hayne's manager Wayne Beavis has been unable to reach his former superstar client and not even his former Eels teammates have heard from him in two days.
The two-time Dally M Medal winner's career is at a standstill with the Eels unable to fit him under their salary cap.
He has been negotiating with St George-Illawarra but no agreement has been reached. No other clubs have any interest in signing the former NSW Origin hero.
The US rape allegations are due to be heard during five-day civil court trial in 2020.
In December 2017, a woman identified only as "JV" filed a civil complaint in California alleging Hayne raped her at his house in San Jose after meeting him during alcohol-fuelled night out at the Willow Den Bar in December, 2015.
Ms V, who said she had never had sex before the incident, alleged she had "minimal interaction" with Hayne at the bar before catching an Uber with him and waking up the following morning in a pool of blood in bed.
Hayne has vehemently denied Ms V's rape claim, saying they "willingly engaged in sexual interaction that did not include sexual intercourse".
The NRL said the Hunter Valley claim was a police matter.
"We are aware of the situation but it's a police matter and the NRL will not be commenting further,'' an NRL spokesman said.
Parramatta said it also would not be commenting on the claims.
"As this is a police matter the club will be making no public comment in relations to these reports," said an Eels spokesman.