Noisy party people warned of $200 on the spot fines

PARTY people have pushed aside the wrapping paper and are now looking towards perhaps more important things: New Year's Eve preparations.

But how much is too much when it comes to parties?

Excessive noise from a party can be reported to police 24 hours a day, seven days a week. The reports will be investigated by police, regardless of the time of day.

In the lead-up to the biggest night of the year for partygoers, Sunshine Coast police have reminded residents that if the police believe noise is excessive, they have the power to enter the premises, without a warrant and give the person responsible a noise abatement notice.

Should noise fines apply 24 hours a day?

This poll ended on 28 December 2014.

Current Results

No, there needs to be some time when people can use their property the way they want to


No, but the times for loud noises should be heavily restricted


Yes, but the fines are out of control for just noise


Yes, people shouldn't make so much noise that it bothers others around them


This is not a scientific poll. The results reflect only the opinions of those who chose to participate.

Failure to comply could result in a $200 on-the-spot fine.

Police also have the power to seize, remove, lock away or render inoperable the property being used to produce the noise for 24 hours.

Inspector Jason Overland said New Year's Eve revellers should just use common sense and manners when it comes to house parties.

"There is no time of the day that noise is too excessive," Insp Overland said.

"It is about whether or not the noise is upsetting someone else.

"Communicate with neighbours and let them know you are having a party.

"We would recommend calling police if you have a noise complaint.

"We wouldn't recommend confronting neighbours and partygoers. But really, the place to be for New Year's will be Mooloolaba.

"Plans are coming together nicely, the weather is looking fantastic and we have 90 police and 108 emergency services personnel on duty."

Anyone who wishes to report a loud party can phone Police Link on 131444.