Promises, promises... how you can keep our pollies in check
SINCE the beginning of a long campaign our major candidates in Page have been out and about promising and promising in the hope of snaffling our vote.
We thought it would be good to list what the two major parties have promised specifically for the Page area and the lists are long.
Going on past performance do you think our local politicians will keep their promises?
This poll ended on 30 June 2016.
This is not a scientific poll. The results reflect only the opinions of those who chose to participate.
The Nationals Kevin Hogan has concentrated his 'goody bag' on specific grants within the Page electorate should he be returned to power.
Labor's Janelle Saffin has reiterated many of Labor's national policies alongside dollar promises, that will also affect, or be of interest to, the Northern Rivers.
So to keep the major parties accountable and in an effort to help you know how to vote, here is the list:
Kevin Hogan election promises
- Helping city companies to move to country for more jobs - $25m
- Upgrade to Mt Lindesay Road - $24m
- Hollingworth Creek bridge, South Lismore - $2.5m
- Replace Kyogle's wooden bridges - $2m
- Upgrade of roads in Coraki and around Lismore - $2m
- Oaks Oval upgrade $1.4m
- Casino Beef Week - $1m
- Casino Amphitheatre - $1m
- Alstonville/Wollongbar multi sports facility - $500k
- Kyogle pool and gym upgrade - $250k
- Southern Cross Lads driving track - $250k
- Renovate Woodburn foreshore - $110k
- Solar batteries for community groups - $100k
- Irrigate Woodburn-Evans Head Golf Club - $40k
- Tabulam Skate Park - $20k
- Alstonville Dirty Wheels bike club grant - $15k
- Casino Shooters grant - $9k
- Lantern Parade grant - $5k
- Strongly supports the development of the Northern Rivers Rail Trail
- Fix mobile phone black spots at Kyogle and Casino
Janelle Saffin election promises
- Prevention of family and domestic violence over four years nationwide - $70m
- Ovarian cancer research grant nationwide - $8m
- North Coast community infrastructure funding - $2.9m
- The Buttery Rehabilitation Service in Binna Burra support - $2m
- Restore cuts to Northern Rivers Community Legal Centre - $300k
- Rebuild canteen facilities, Casino Showgrounds $180k
- Colley Park, Casino upgrade $!50k
- Match the Coalition's mobile black spot funding and improve the program giving priority to regional areas prone to natural disasters
- Fibre optic NBN rollout to homes and businesses, connecting over 50,000 premises across Page
- Create 10,000 new apprentice ready places nationwide
- Provide 5,000 accelerated apprenticeships for retrenched workers
- Establish National Skills Recognition Entitlement program for mature age retrenched workers
- Strong track record of standing up for our community on CSG and will continue to protect our region if elected
- Protecting Medicare
- Marriage equality bill within 100 days of being elected
- Protecting penalty rates
- Climate action and 50% renewable energy by 2030
- Defending against $100k university fees
- Extra 500 hours of women's sport on Australian TV.