Daniel Morcombe
Daniel Morcombe

Sex offender drove past bus stop

A SUNSHINE Coast man who committed serious sexual offences against two boys, aged six and seven, drove along the Nambour Connection Road twice on the day Daniel Morcombe disappeared.

The Beerwah man, known as P7, told police he even recalled seeing a bus broken down at Woombye one of the two times he drove past the abduction site on December 7, 2003.

Police questioned him after they compiled a list of known sex offenders in the area but Sergeant Mark Wright told Maroochydore Coroners Court yesterday police were satisfied he was not involved.

Sgt Wright said the man had driven to Nambour to collect a mulcher and phone records showed he left between 12.50pm and 12.58pm.

Sgt Wright said the fact he saw the broken down bus meant he drove past the abduction site from 1.50pm to 2.10pm. His neighbour said he saw him using the mulcher in his garden mid-afternoon and P7 did not have access to a blue car or white van similar to those seen near Daniel when he disappeared.

"We can't put an end time (he returned home ) but based on his version of events, we're fairly satisfied he did what he said he did," he said.

Another man, P6, is known for committing "run-ins" on other drug associates, where he steals drugs and valuables knowing they would not report it to police because they would have to divulge their own illicit activities.

Detective Senior Constable Glenn Elliott said there were regularl allegations P6 would commit sexual offences against his adult male victims but for the same reason, formal complaints were never made.

He said P6 had a lengthy criminal history, including armed robbery, and was currently in jail.

Det Elliott said P6 looked like some of the witness sketches, was a well-known Brisbane criminal offender and had "psychopathic tendencies".

But he said P6 was able to give himself alibis by confessing to a series of four car thefts in south Brisbane on December 7, 2003, including one involving a chase at 2.15pm when Daniel went missing.

His DNA was found in one of the cars he claimed to have stolen.

Det Elliott said P6's method of operation was to use vehicles as a means of transport and steal property inside to swap for drugs because he had a heavy amphetamine addiction.

Morcombe family lawyer Peter Boyce, upon hearing how easily P6 swapped between stolen cars, questioned whether police should have checked all South-East Queensland regos when they looked at speed and red light camera information in the days after Daniel's disappearance.

"Given the pattern of these people (to swap cars), to restrict it to a blue vehicle would unnecessarily narrow the potential evidence gathering in this whole scenario," he said.

Coroner Michael Barnes suggested Mr Boyce make a submission on the matter at the end of the inquest.

P30 came to police attention after he told a friend two men had borrowed his blue car, which was a similar shape and age to the one seen near Daniel before he disappeared.

Sgt Wright said police conducted numerous tests on the car but found no forensic results of value.

He said the Caloundra man told police the car was not drivable on December 7 because the two men had crashed it into a trailer and then a pole, resulting in it being towed on December 3.

Sgt Wright said the car was regularly leant to people to supply drugs on P30's behalf.

The court also heard more about P3, who had claimed she was in the car when Daniel was abducted. She told police she had heard P2 talk about "a thrill kill" and thought she had been driven to Daniel's burial site at Bribie Island.

But Det Elliott said her information was not credible and recorded phone calls from a prison to her home address the day Daniel disappeared had her placed at home all day.

Read more:

Police ask for witness cutbacks