MP ‘stonewalled’ over Tabulam bridge
UPDATE 2.00pm: Member for Lismore, Janelle Saffin said she had asked RMS several times for more information regarding construction of the new Tabulam bridge.
"I feel like I am stonewalled," she said.
"Last week in parliament I asked two questions with notice about the situation after I saw they were no workers there as I drove over the bridge the week before last at 8.54am."
Ms Janelle Saffin asked the Minister for Regional Transport and Roads (Paul Toole), "Can you assure concerned Tabulam residents that construction of a new bridge crossing of the Clarence River will not be delayed or halted by any onsite issues with the project's contractors?" and "Will the new Tabulam Bridge meet its scheduled completion date and be open to traffic by mid-2020? "
Ms Saffin also asked the minister if he could "shed any light on why construction work on the new Tabulam Bridge crossing the Clarence River has virtually ground to a standstill because when I drove past it at 9.15am on Wednesday, June 12, this appeared to be the case?"
She also referred to an article in The Northern Star on June 19, which stated Tabulam residents noticing a recent exodus of workers from their town.
"Can you comment on an article in The Northern Star quoting an unnamed worker that a wrong mix of concrete had failed to set in one of the new pylons, delaying the entire project?" she said.
Ms Saffin said she also called the contractor herself but was unable to have any of her questions answered or calls returned.
Original story: ROADS and Maritime Services has announced it will take over the work on the new Tabulam Bridge, after reaching an agreement with the current contractor, Delaney Civil.
The RMS' regional maintenance manager, Vicky Sisson, said the $48 million project was about 70 per cent complete.
"Roads and Maritime is working towards completing the project on time and on budget with completion expected in mid-2020, weather permitting," she said.
"Roads and Maritime is continuing to work with the contractor to ensure all subcontractor obligations are met, and is contacting subcontractors and suppliers about opportunities for work moving forward."
The RMS will now start the process of engaging a new contractor to complete the work.
Current subcontractors will continue to work on the project where applicable and appropriate.
Ms Sisson said the RMS will continue working over the coming months to ensure the completion of piling and pier construction ahead of setting up for girder installation followed by deck pours.
"Roads and Maritime will remain proactive in managing major construction work across regional NSW," she said.
The community and motorists are thanked for their ongoing patience and will be kept informed as work progresses towards completion.