Two teenagers have been arrested over the stabbing death of a service station attendant.
Two teenagers have been arrested over the stabbing death of a service station attendant. Stephen Lloyd

Teens arrested over deadly spree

TWO teenage boys have been arrested after a crime spree in the NSW town of Queanbeyan that police say "doesn't get more serious than this”.

A 29-year-old Caltex service station attendant was stabbed to death shortly before midnight on Thursday - one of five violent incidents police believe are connected.

The attendant was discovered dead in the Bungendore Rd Caltex service station at 11.55pm by a colleague who was arriving for work.

Emergency services were called but the man could not be saved and died at the scene.

Superintendent Rod Smith said the colleague, who arrived less than 10 minutes after the stabbing, came across "a gruesome scene” and was deeply traumatised.

Police will allege the two boys walked into the Caltex store at 11.45pm and began fighting with the attendant.

"It's alleged during that struggle the attendant suffered a number of stab wounds, which were fatal to that man,” Supt Smith said.

Police launched an "intensive” hunt for the two boys, aged 15 and 16, whose images were captured by the station's CCTV cameras.

He wouldn't say if they were known to police, but both boys were from the Queanbeyan area.

The cash register and other items were taken from the store and significant damage was done when the boys had to "smash their way out” through a window after the door automatically locked behind them.

Police allege they were involved in other incidents in the Queanbeyan area - one being an aggravated break and enter where a man was bashed with a tyre iron, and another where a man was bashed in a park with a beer bottle.

Another incident, across the border in the ACT, involved an attempted robbery.

The fifth incident was a stabbing of a man in Queanbeyan that left the victim in a serious condition with a wound to the abdomen at Canberra Hospital.

A witness to that stabbing called police about 6.20am yesterday.

"It's alleged these two young people were involved in that,” Supt Smith said.

About 15 minutes later police tried to pull over a silver Ford Falcon sedan.

A pursuit began and went into the ACT, where the two teens were arrested without incident. A weapon was found in the car.

The two teens were being interviewed by police yesterday afternoon, with warrants and an extradition back to NSW being prepared.

Police expect to lay serious charges, Supt Smith said.

"Our investigation into these matters will continue, but it doesn't need to be said it doesn't get more serious than this - an absolute horrific series of events,” he said.