Car owners campaign for new "wedding and formal" licence

TOOWOOMBA classic car owner James Bailey has started an e-petition to try save a Year 12 graduation tradition from red tape.

Mr Bailey was one of dozens of Toowoomba car owners sent a letter warning he could face $2200 fines if he accepted payment for chaperoning students to formals.

"Currently to drive a person or couple to a wedding or formal, you require appropriate accreditation, authorisation and licences," he wrote.

"The amount of money required to do this (approximately $3500 a year) is not within the bounds of a part time enthusiast."

Classic car owner James Bailey has launched an online petition asking for the introduction of a new kind of
Classic car owner James Bailey has launched an online petition asking for the introduction of a new kind of "weddings and formals" chaperoning licence.

Mr Bailey has called for the creation of a new "mid-way" accreditation costing $500 which would limit drivers to 12 paid events each year, with logs kept of trips and payment.

The laws did not come as a surprise to members of the Toowoomba branch of the Mini Owners Club of Queensland.

"We've known about them for years. We do have members on full registration and they can do weddings and formals," member Bob Hooper said.

"But we don't charge anything - we say that if they want to make a donation to the club, all the money goes to the (Toowoomba) Hospice."

Online comments

I have done the odd wedding and formal, and for me it's a great thrill seeing people enjoy a car I have put some much time and effort into. Most are hard working blue collar workers who are passionate about their classic cars. So if we take a few bucks for doing a formal or wedding. A formal normally eats up three hrs of your time, let alone the fuel sitting a queue for over an hour with your V8 running. Sorry but it barely covers the cost of making the day special for some young couple.

- Nevertolate, Blue Mountain Heights

I can understand why the regulations are in place - it all comes under the limousine & taxi laws, which do need to be regulated. But at the same time, I think there does need to be scope for small & very-small business. $4000 in licensing fees is quite onerous and would have the effect of limiting new start-ups in the industry.

- RangeResident, Drayton North

So let's get this clear Department of Transport. Say for example I take my mate or a relative to the doctors and he gives me $20 to help pay for the petrol. Am I breaking the law by driving him to his destination? Let's say I had to go in there anyway to buy groceries. Is the act of driving him to his destination still illegal?

- Chronicle_Reader, Toowoomba