UNION: Trojans triumph with 46-17 pounding of Lismore City

LENNOX Head has set itself up for a strong finish to the season with a 46-17 win over Lismore City in Far North Coast rugby union at the weekend.

The fourth-placed Trojans have had a disrupted month with byes and forfeit wins keeping them off the park.

"It was good for the boys to finally get the ball back in hand," coach Aaron Matenga said.

"The things we worked on at training came off, so that was pleasing.

"We just wanted to build pressure early and swing it out to the backs."

TROJAN EFFORT: Lennox Head’s Taylor Steele tries to palm off a Lismore City tackle in the Far North Coast rugby union game at Lismore Rugby Park on Saturday.
TROJAN EFFORT: Lennox Head’s Taylor Steele tries to palm off a Lismore City tackle in the Far North Coast rugby union game at Lismore Rugby Park on Saturday.

Fullback Paul Crozier scored a hat-trick while the back row of Harry Witt, Hamish Holbrook and Sam Powell led the way in the forwards.

The Trojans were never going to get run down after taking a 27-7 lead into half-time.

"Harry Witt caused them plenty of headaches and Hamish was a bit of a force to be reckoned with when he had the ball.

"We moved Sam Powell into the forwards and he probably had his best game of the season.

In other games, it was a wake-up call for Ballina when they beat Bangalow 39-17 at Schultz Oval, Bangalow.

The Seahorses trailed 12-10 at half-time before a barnstorming second half.

No 8 Harry Bungate continued his impressive form with a try-scoring double.

Elsewhere, the Byron Bay juggernaut continued with a 78-10 thrashing of Casino at Albert Park, Casino.

Bryon had the foot on the throat from the opening whistle with No 8 Michael Armstrong scoring a hat-trick.

Bulls flanker Carl Tahatu was brave in a beaten side, scoring two tries.

And Grafton ran out 43-10 winners against Southern Cross Uni-versity at Grafton Rugby Park.

The Rats started strongly before the Redmen finished the game with 24 unanswered points in a second-half shut-out.


Grafton 43 (Brett Graham 2, Rob Wylie 2, Bill Whalan, Keaton Ingram, Chris Owen tries, Andrew Pye 3, Keaton Ingram conversions) d Southern Cross University 10 (Pat Kelly try, Peter King conversion, penalty goal). Half-time: 19-10

Ballina 39 (Harry Bungate 2, Grant Knight, Ryan Boardman, Sam Norris, Joe Jansson tries, Luke Watling 3 conversions, penalty goal) d Bangalow 17 (Will Cotterill, Bob Mataia, Hori Thompson tries, Ollie James conversion). Half-time: Bangalow 12-10.

Lennox Head 46 (Paul Crozier 3, Connor Winchester, Lachlan Stace,Sam Powell, Harry Witt, Rowan Morgan tries, Connor Winchester 3 conversions) d Lismore City 17 (Kyle Bell, Robbie Collings, Sam Johnston tries, Chris Clark conversion). Half-time: 27-7.

Byron Bay 78 (Michael Armstrong 3, Jack Elborn 2, Harvey Bell 2, Josh Smith, Aaron Shakeshaft, Jascha Saeck, Nathan Nicholls, James Oakley tries, Brandon Lewsey 9 conversions) d Casino 10 (Carl Tahatu 2 tries). Half-time: 40-5.

Bye: Wollongbar-Alstonville.

Pointscore: Wollongbar-Alstonville 53, Ballina 51, Byron Bay 48, Lennox Head 27, Grafton 24, Bangalow 20, Lismore 10, Casino 10, Southern Cross University 5.

Reserve grade: Yamba 17 d Grafton 12, Ballina 33 d Bangalow 0, Lismore 27 d Lennox Head 22, Evans River 49 d Casino 7, Murwillumbah 31 d Wollongbar-Alstonville 14.

President's Cup: Mullumbimby 33 d Grafton 0, Ballina 35 d Wollongbar-Alstonville 17, Kyogle 30 d Lismore 7.